I struggled for a bit on what my first blog post should be about. After some thought, I have arrived here. The best day. On July 2nd, 2016 I married the coolest person I have ever met. It’s funny because I knew that day was coming from our 3rd or 4th date (maybe earlier, I can’t remember… OR I don’t want to admit I knew that early). The saying, “you know when you know” is real, really really real. But, I’ll elaborate on that in another post in the future… for now, July 2nd.
I planned our wedding in four months. In those months leading up to the wedding we discussed who we wanted there with us and what was most important to us. We wanted the people who love us and have supported us and our relationship there to share the best [and first] day of our lives [together]. The most important thing to us was the ‘feeling’ of the day—at least, looking back, that’s what I think was most important. We wanted it to be happy and real and sentimental. I know the people in our lives know we love each other but I wanted everyone to know how much. It was everything I could have asked for and more.
People told me that the day would fly by and that something would, inevitably, go wrong. They told me to pause and take in the moment and the feeling. They said to take a minute for ourselves. The day did fly by… what I wouldn’t do to do it all over again. Things did go wrong but I can’t even remember what those things were now. I paused, a lot. I’ll never forget seeing everyone I love in one place, happy. We did take a minute or two to ourselves and those minutes created the most beautiful pictures.
Please enjoy the photos, taken by the amazing photographer Tiffani Jones, and details of the day below (including our vows!):
- Location: Lovers Key State Park at Fort Myers Beach, Fl. My coordinator was April and she was so sweet and accommodating.
- Flowers: I made my bouquet as well as the bridesmaids bouquets and the centerpieces at the reception from flowers from here and here.
- Attire: I actually decided to wear a skirt instead of a dress. I purchased my dress from Etsy. Inge made my skirt completely custom. I started by sending her some inspiration photos as well as describing what I was picturing. She sent me color samples of tulle and we went from there. We added pockets and pickups at the end and it was so perfectly unique and very ‘me’. My top was from Express. My shoes were a last-minute buy from TJMaxx. My earrings were diamonds borrowed from my Aunt Stephanie that were gifted to her from her husband early on in their relationship which made them feel like good-luck. My bracelet was a gift from my bridesmaid and friend, Anna. It was my ‘something blue’ and was so thoughtful and such a good surprise. Lastly, my veil. This was my (other) ‘something borrowed’ from my sweet and generous sister-in-law, Annie. It was the perfect addition.
- Bridesmaids dress: Purchased from TheDaintyYard on Etsy.
- Make-up & Hair: Myself
- Food: Publix catering (yum!)
- Decor: My guestbook was made by a former classmate. Currently her Etsy is closed so I am unable to link her page. The wedding programs were one of my favorite parts of the wedding… they were. so. cute. I purchased a download from WeddingShopWonderful on Etsy. The vases used for centerpieces were purchased from Target, Dollar Tree, and Walmart and were spray painted copper, silver, gold, and white. The table numbers were wooden numbers purchased from Michaels and spray painted copper. I purchased burlap table runners from Hobby Lobby. All the paper signs were from AlexandCo Printables from Etsy. I also purchased these super cute tiny wooden hearts and scattered them on the tables. The ‘Mr and Mrs’ topper on our donut cake was from Amazon. The seating chart was a Goodwill find that I chalkboard painted and put on an easel.
- Favors: Custom sunglasses and paper fans from Nice Party Favors.
- First dance song: ‘Yours’ by Russell Dickerson.
- Photographer: Tiffani Jones, again, because she was so amazing. We cherish these pictures so much. She was sweet and went above and beyond. I would recommend to 100 times if I could.
My vows: Kurt, you’re my very best friend. You know me better than anyone else in this world and you still manage to love me. There is still a part of me today that cannot believe that I’m the one that gets to marry you. I love you more than you’ll ever be able to understand. I promise to be faithful and patient. I will listen to your dreams and support you as you strive to achieve all your goals, no matter where that may take us. I promise to love you when life is easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple and when it is an effort. I promise to be your partner on all of our life’s adventures. I will always do my best to make you happy and feel loved. I give you these promises today and all the days of our life.
His vows: I am proud to take you as my wife today and I am excited to spend the rest of my life with you. I look forward to the new memories we are yet to make, and the family we will create. I vow to trust you and value your opinions, and stand by you no matter what. No one knows the paths life will take, but going through life with you is all I could ask for. I vow to support you every day, just as you have always supported me. I promise to always treat you as my best friend. I will ask for help when I need it, and offer help to you always. I will listen to you, I will sympathize with you, and I will be there for you always. When you’re not feeling well, I will take the dogs out for you even if it’s your turn. I will be patient, loving and caring. I am thankful for all that you are to me. I know with your help, I will be a better person today than I was yesterday. I look forward to growing with you and making this walk of life with you at my side.
If you have made it this far, THANK YOU! Thank you for reading my very first blog post. I look forward to writing more and you reading more!